I don't know about you but reading books are low on my list of things to do. I know- it's shameful. After a long day at work, all I want to do is sit on my couch and catch up on my DVR - I mean I must know whether or not Lisa Vanderpump adopts another dog or if Jax is going to get another girl pregnant in Vegas.
Just because I don't read a ton, doesn't mean I don't like to read. In fact, I really enjoy it. Grab a cup of tea, get a blanket and read until is 3 am is one of my favorite past times. Thanks to technology there are podcasts and audiobooks to keep me "well read" during my longish commute (and when I'm cooking or putting on makeup). I'm here to share my favorite podcasts and hopefully, you'll subscribe, listen and tell me what you think!
- Serial - I think this was my first podcast I ever binged on. I heard about it and had a road trip in my future, so I downloaded all the episodes and after one episode I could not stop. The story of Adnan Syed and Hae Min Lee was just so interesting. When I first heard the story, I immediately thought he did it. THEN, the episode that discusses the Best Buy parking lot, I just started to second guess my original thought. There are so many holes in the story and Sarah Koenig does a great job of reporting both sides and really allows the listener to decide for themselves.
- The Bitch Bible by Jackie Schimmel - This girl is not for everyone, but she's my kind of gal. She's funny, sarcastic and loves reality tv. I started listening to this podcast because Jackie was a guest on another podcast I listened to. She has a ton of reality star guests on but what I really enjoy is her one-woman reality tv recaps. No one is safe from her commentary and I appreciate that.
- The Great Love Debate with Brian Howie - I also stumbled upon this gem from another podcast I listened to. If you asked me to suggest only one podcast, it'd be this one. The host Brian Howie always starts off the show by welcoming listeners and reminding them that this show is "where each week we try and answer the question 'why is everyone still single'." I don't care if you're single, dating, or married this podcast is for everyone. Brian has great guests on from dating coaches to comedians to reality tv stars and other podcasters. Guests share their dating stories, advice and just general insight into dating in the modern world. It's like a weekly version of Aziz Ansari's Modern Romance.
- Happier with Gretchen Rubin - Gretchen Rubin and her sister Elizabeth Craft have a great podcast where they discuss good habits and happiness. They talk about ways to be happier in life with helpful tips that can be done on a small scale every day. I enjoy this one because the tips don't involve you throwing out anything that may not bring you joy, but simple things like how to stop apologizing or what to do if you can't remember a name.
- Pod Save America/Pod Save the World - Jon Favreau, Jon Lovett and Tommy Vietor are former Obama staffers who came together to form Crooked Media. With the creation of their media company, they created the podcasts Pod Save America and Pod Save the World. Now I don't necessarily agree with these guys on all things politics, but I do enjoy their banter and hearing their take on the current state of politics in America. It doesn't hurt to hear another person's opinion, even if you don't agree. Now if you're like "ew politics, nope, no thank you," then I do encourage you to take a listen to Pod Save the World. It's a great podcast that dives in deep on foreign policy. Tommy Vietor is the host of this one and he has some great guests who have been behind the scenes traveling abroad with the former President and/or have been in the White House situation room meetings. If you want to learn more about what's happening in the world and why then these two podcasts should be added to your list.
I could probably go on but I'll save that rambling for another time. Let me know if you've listened to any of these podcasts or if you plan to, and if you plan to make sure to tell me what you think after you've taken a listen to one or all of them! -C